Supplier Development Engineer
Ensures that AFSI’s global supplier systems, processes and capabilities, meet the design intent of the application and are compliant with the customer’s needs around quality, cost, delivery of components and requirements for ISO 2001:2015. Supports supplier selection and management through New Product Introduction. Leads underperforming suppliers to recovery with appropriate action plans.
Tracks and interprets global supplier base performance indicators to facilitate and develop the supply base’s ability to consistently meet or exceed defined expectations.
Ensures supplier has implemented corrective actions as stated in 8D and that they meet standards set forth by the Quality Department. Do this via on-site audits, meetings, or other means.
Ensures compliance and timely supplier response to quality control inspection reports (QCIR).
Determines on-going adequacy and capability of supplier quality control and ability to comply with complete quality specifications. Do this via on-site audits (scheduled and non-scheduled).
Interface with Supply Chain Manager and Buyers to prioritize supplier development needs by component to improve performance in quality, cost and delivery.
Assists in establishing new suppliers via assessment of capabilities to meet requirements for performance via validation audits and supplier Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP).
Assist New Product Design Engineers with product introduction by working with suppliers to ensure that key project milestones are achieved.
Keep up with current and developing manufacturing and engineering trends that concern product quality.
Present progress at project meetings.
Conduct benchmarking studies to determine best practices and future trends.
Undertake personal continuous training and development.
Perform root cause analysis and resolve problems.
Travel up to 40%.
Reports any accidents and potentially unsafe conditions or unsafe acts immediately to appropriate supervisor.
Works in a safe manner, following all safety policies and procedures while keeping in mind other’s safety as well.
Other duties as assigned
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and reach with hands, and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Travel to assigned suppliers, up to 50% (domestic and international).
- Education and/or Experience: Bachelor's degree (B. S.) from four-year technical college or university. Technical knowledge of manufacturing process would be an asset. 3-5 years of experience working in Supply Chain (Supplier Quality Engineer or Commodity Manager preferred). Able to interpret/read drawings, prints, specifications. Experience and understanding of manufacturing standards (e.g. ISO-9001). Experience with 6 Sigma & Lean Manufacturing Methodologies. Experience with process and product audits preferred (internal and suppliers). Detail oriented and strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Language Skills: Is able to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.Is able to write routine reports and correspondence; speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Reasoning Ability: Is able to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists; able to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Outlook Internet software, Fourth Shift Manufacturing software, Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet, and Word Processing software.
- Other Skills and Abilities: Experience in Sourcing, Engineering, Quality, Manufacturing and program management. Experience in developing and implementing vendor qualification. Knowledge of quality and business systems. Commercial and financial acumen. Strong knowledge of Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), Production Part Approval Process (PPAP), Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA). Vast experience with cross functional management. Excellent presentation skills. Understanding and interpretation of engineering drawings. Understanding manufacturing processes. Ability to work in a diverse and dynamic environment. Planning and prioritizing activities. Good communication and interpersonal skills. Strong negotiation and influential skills. Ability to present data effectively. Numerically astute with strong problem-solving skills and expertise to develop and execute objectives for self and others. Substantial experience in supplier development.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
How to Apply
- Download and Fill out our Job Application
- Submit your application online to send us your filled application, resume, references and other details.
- E-mail completed application, resume, and references
- Mail to:
Advanced Filtration Systems Inc.
Attn: Human Resources
3206 Farber Dr
Champaign, IL 61822